GI Radiology relates to imaging and Intervention related to the gastro-intestinal tract, ie, from the mouth to the rectum. More often, the term is used more loosely to include diseases related to the abdomen and the specialty is often called Abdominal Radiology. Broadly speaking, it includes the gullet, stomach, small and large bowel, liver, gall bladder, pancreas, abdominal vessels and the fat.
Clinical specialties served:
The primary clinical groups we interact with include Upper GI and laparoscopic surgeons, Bariatric surgeons, Colorectal surgeons, Hepatobiliary surgeons, Gastroenterologists, primary care physicians, nurses and dieticians.
- CT applications - GI protocol CT, CT Colonography, CT for cancer staging, CT Mesenteric angiography, CT Enterography, CT for pancreas and hepato-biliary tree etc.
- MR applications - MRCP, liver lesion characterization, MR Pancreas, MR Enterography, MR for cancer staging, Perianal fistulae, MR for pelvic floor disorders, rapid overview abdominal MRI etc.
- Fluoroscopic applications - The department runs the Laparoscopic Band filling program as a part of bariatric surgery. Traditional tests like barium enemas, small bowel enema, barium swallows, proctography etc. is also performed.
- Ultrasound applications - General abdominal ultrasound, guided biopsies, Endoscopic ultrasound etc.
- Interventional Radiology - Biopsies and drainages, Hepatobiliary interventions, Embolisations, GI bleed management, GI tract stenting for strictures.
Clinical meeting times:
|0800||Tuesday||BHH - Radiology seminar room||Mainly inflammatory bowel disease and interesting cases|
|0815||Wednesday||BHH - Post Graduate Centre||Colorectal MDT|
|1400||Wednesday||Post Graduate Centre||Upper GI MDT|
|Afternoon||Tuesday||Solihull PG centre
(every 3 months)
|Pelvic Floor MDT|
Radiologists with special interest:
The department has a national and international repute in research and publications. Topics include Rectal cancer, Perianal fistulae, CT Colonography, CT Cholangiography, CT for GI bleeding, Pelvic floor disorders, Laparoscopic banding etc.